History

125 YEARS OF INDUSTRIAL EXPERIENCE
HAS GIVEN US STRONG ROOTS.

The cornerstone for Frauenthal Automotive was laid in 2002 when the first spring plants were acquired in Austria and Germany. Further acquisitions of major European commercial vehicle suppliers followed. Today, we have over 100 years of industrial experience under our belt: this deep-rooted tradition and our forward-looking innovations have been key to our success.

Frauenthal Automotive History >>

2002

 

Ventana Beteiligungsgesellschaft m.b.H, Vienna (now operating as FVV Frauenthal Vermögensverwaltung GmbH, Vienna) acquires the Styria Federn Group, a manufacturer of steel springs for trucks.

2003

 

Frauenthal acquires a Finnish spring factory in Billnäs from Imatra Steel (shut down in 2006).

2004

 

Frauenthal acquires the Linnemann-Schnetzer Group, European market leader in steel air tanks for braking systems. The Styria Federn Group and Linnemann Schnetzer Group merge to form the Frauenthal Automotive Components Division with a revenue of EUR 170 m. 

2007

 

Linnemann-Schnetzer Hungary, a plant of the Linnemann Schnetzer Group that manufactures air tanks, is closed. Frauenthal acquires the leading U-bolt manufacturer Pol-Necks, based in Torun, Poland, and the spring factory A.D. Fabrika Opruga Styria Gibnjara Kraljevo in Serbia.

2009

 

As a result of the crisis, it becomes necessary to sell Styria Federn GmbH, Düsseldorf, and its subsidiary Styria Gibnjara Kraljevo, Serbia. The Syria Vzmeti plant in Slovenia is mothballed in an effort to reduce capacity. The air tank and stabiliser factory, Styria Elsefrance in St. Avold, France, is shut down to cut capacity. 

2010

 

The Group successfully weathers the crisis on the strength of the tough restructuring measures taken in 2009 and the recovery in the commercial vehicle business. A year of change: with our new strategy, a new era has begun.

2012

 

The brands "Linnemann-Schnetzer", "Styria" and "Pol-Necks" merge to "Frauenthal Automotive" as of 1 July 2012. 

2012

 

Frauenthal Automotive acquires the air tank manufacturer Worthington Cylinders a.s., based in Hustopeče/Czech Republic.

2013

 

Worthington Cylinders a.s. is renamed "Frauenthal Automotive Hustopeče s.r.o." as of 1 January 2013.

2013

 

Acquisition of Sweden's metal component producer Gnotec AB with five production sites in Sweden, Slovakia and China on 13 May 2013

History of the Air Tank Plants >>

1909

 

Zieh-, Press- und Stanzwerk, Linnemann, Schulte & Comp., GmbH is founded. Production focuses on sheet metal cylinders/tubes for the household enamel industry concentrated around Ahlen.

1931

 

Following the death of Heinrich Linnemann, his son-in-law, Edgar Schnetzer, a businessman and engineer, joins the company.

1937

 

The manufacturing programme is realigned to accommodate special pressed components for all sectors of industry.

1944

 

In October of this year, 80% of the factory is destroyed in a heavy air raid. Rapid reconstruction sees production resume before the end of the war.

1948

 

The company changes its name and legal form to Blech- u. Metallwarenfabrik Linnemann-Schnetzer KG.

1950

 

First air tanks for the commercial vehicle industry are manufactured.

1960-68

 

Series production of air tanks to DIN standard 74 281, expansion of the special tanks business.

1975

 

ELES-France s.a.r.l. is founded in Saint-Avold, France, for the production of air tanks.

1990

 

LINNEMANN-SCHNETZER METALOMEÂNICA Lda. is set up in Viana do Castelo, Portugal, for the production of air tanks.

1991-92

 

FLASCHENGAS-GERÄTEWERK GmbH in Elterlein in Saxony, Germany, a company that produces welded steel cylinders for liquid gas, is acquired. An air tank manufacturing facility is set up.

1992

 

The LINNEMANN-SCHNETZER Group is born;

LINNEMANN-SCHNETZER (Holding) is formed as parent company of the four production companies:

LINNEMANN-SCHNETZER GmbH & Co. in Ahlen, Germany

ELESFRANCE S.A. in St.-Avold, France (becomes a public limited company at this point)

LINNEMANN-SCHNETZER METALOMECÂNICA Lda. in Viana do Castelo, Portugal

FLASCHENGAS-GERÄTEWERK GmbH in Elterlein, Germany

1999

 

Linnemann-Schnetzer Hungary Kft. is established for the production of aluminium air tanks.

2001

 

To separate the two product segments air tanks and gas cylinders, LINNEMANN-SCHNETZER SACHSEN GmbH is established at the Elterlein facility as an additional subsidiary focusing on air tank production.

2002

 

LINNEMANN-SCHNETZER METALOMECÂNICA Lda. Schnetzer Metalomecânica, Lda. site in Portugal is closed and the gas cylinder business of Flaschengas-Gerätewerk GmbH is sold off.

2003

 

A steel air tank manufacturing facility is established at Linnemann-Schnetzer Hungary Kft in Hódmezövásárhely, Hungary.

2004

 

Acquisition by the Frauenthal Group.

Linnemann-Schnetzer Group is integrated into the Automotive Components Division of the Frauenthal Group.

2007

 

The Linnemann-Schnetzer plant in Hungary is closed.

2008

 

The new manufacturing hall and second powdering unit in Elterlein is inaugurated.

2009

 

LINNEMANN-SCHNETZER is awarded the "Supplier Award" by MAN.

2010

 
  • The French plant Elesfrance is closed down and aluminium production is relocated to Elterlein.
  • Tank construction and formed parts are separated into Linnemann-Schnetzer Ahlen GmbH and Linnemann-Schnetzer Form Parts GmbH at the Ahlen site.

2012

 
  • Inside powders are introduced to all customers.
  • Closure of Linnemann-Schnetzer Form Parts GmbH is announced for the end of the year.
  • The "Linnemann-Schnetzer" brand is merged with the brands "Styria" and "Pol Necks" to "Frauenthal Automotive".
  • The plants are renamed "Frauenthal Automotive Elterlein GmbH" and "Frauenthal Automotive Ahlen GmbH".
History of the U-bolt Plant >>

1993

 

Pol-Necks is founded in Toruń, Poland.

2000

 

First cold bent u-bolt is produced.

2003

 

First hot formed u-bolt is produced.

2004

 

ISO/TS 16949:2002 certification; production exceeds 1 million u-bolts per year for the first time.

2005

 

Dacromet® corrosion protection technology is introduced.

2007

 

Pol-Necks becomes part of Frauenthal Automotive Components GmbH.

2008

 
  • Production rises to nearly 2 million u-bolts a year.
  • ISO 14001:2004 and OHSAS 18001:2007 are implemented.

2010

 

Launch of Continuous Improvement.

2011

 

The best year in production history with 2,850,000 u-bolts.

2012

 
  • The "Pol-Necks" brand is merged with the brands "Styria" and "Linnemann-Schnetzer" to "Frauenthal Automotive".
  • The company is renamed Frauenthal Automotive Toruń Sp. z o.o
History of the Stabiliser Plant >>

1856

 

Production site set up as tool manufacture of Bernot in Prigney et Cie.

1897

 
  • Leaf spring production is launched.
  • The name is changed to Usine des Ressorts du Nord.

1913

 

Relocation to the new production site in Douai.

1921

 

Major expansion of the plant.

1972

 

Merger with MGR, the name is changed to SGR (Société Générale des Ressorts)

1978

 

The name is changed to Ressorts Industries.

1981

 

Stabiliser production is launched.

1987

 

The company is acquired by the steel producer Allevard and renamed Allevard Ressorts.

1992

 

First automatic forging machine.

1998

 

The company is acquired by Ventana (owner of our parent company Frauenthal Holding AG) and integrated into the former Styria Group.

1999

 
  • The company is renamed Styria Ressorts Véhicules Industriels.
  • The production of welded stabilisers is launched.

2002

 

Integration into Frauenthal Group.

2003

 

Robotisation and induction heating are introduced to the forging processes.

2007

 

Record year in production: 250,000 stabilisers

2010

 

Production of tubular stabilisers is launched.

2012

 
  • The "Styria" brand is merged with the brands "Pol Necks" and "Linnemann-Schnetzer" to "Frauenthal Automotive".
  • The company is renamed Frauenthal Automotive France S.A.S.
History of the Spring Plants >>

The Frauenthal Automotive Group comprises four spring plants in Châtenois-les-Forges/France, Azambuja/Portugal, Sibiu/Romania and Judenburg/Austria. All of them look back to a long tradition and have been passed between several owners (incl. Thyssen Krupp, Allevard). Between 1996 and 2006, they were acquired by Ventana, the owner of our parent Frauenthal Holding, and gained a reputation under the name Styria over many years. Since 1 July 2012, they have been part of Frauenthal Automotive in name too.

1886

 

The factory is founded; production of wagon springs and agricultural parts is launched.

approx. 1890

 

Production of leaf springs is launched in Châtenois-les-Forges, France.

1906

 

Production of leaf springs (by hand) is launched in Judenburg, Austria.

1947

 

Spring production is launched in Sibiu, Romania.

1957

 

In April of this year, employees in Judenburg, Austria, celebrate the delivery of the 100,000th spring.

1964

 

The Portuguese plant, Impormol S.A.R.L., is founded (Industria Portuguesa de Molas) and leaf spring production is launched.

1971

 

Production of leaf and parabolic springs is launched in Azambuja, Portugal.

1980

 

Parabolic spring production is launched and the first parabolic rolling mill is implemented in Châtenois, France.

1995

 

The production of air suspension springs is launched in Châtenois, France.

1996

 

Styria Federn GesmbH, the plant in Judenburg, Austria, is sold to Ventana (owner of the Frauenthal Group). This marks the birth of the Styria Group, which grows steadily over the years to come.

1997

 

The Slovenian factory, Vzmeti Ravne d.o.o., is acquired – and renamed Styria Vzmeti d.o.o.

1998

 

The French company Allevard Ressorts Véhicules Industriels is acquired and the production of 3D air suspension springs is launched in Châtenois, France.

1999

 

Production of high-stress parabolic springs and S lay springs in Châtenois, France.

1999

 

Styria becomes the standardised name in all countries and plants. The French plant is renamed Styria Ressorts Véhicules Industriels.

2000

 

Clear market leadership is attained with production at 55,000 tonnes and a market share of about 30%.

2000

 

First delivery of leaf and parabolic springs to our plant in Sibiu, Romania.

2001

 

First delivery of light parabolic springs to our plant in Sibiu, Romania.

2002

 

The Frauenthal Group is restructured: Styria – the Automotive Components division of Frauenthal Group – becomes the largest sector in the Frauenthal Group.

2003

 

The Finnish company Imatra Steel Components OY is acquired – and renamed Styria Billnäs.

2005

 

The Romanian company ThyssenKrupp Compa Arcuri is acquired – and renamed Styria Arcuri S.A.

2006

 

The Portuguese company ThyssenKrupp Impormol is acquired – and renamed Styria Impormol, S.A.

2006

 

The Finish plant in Billnäs (FIN) is closed.

2009

 

The fourth parabolic rolling mill for thick dimensions is implemented in Châtenois, France.

2011

 

The production of mono-leaf springs for heavy truck front axles is launched in Châtenois, France.

2011

 

The plant in Sibiu, Romania, is presented the Q1 Award by Ford for its excellent quality.

2012

 

The brands "Styria" are merged with the brands "Pol-Necks" and "Linnemann-Schnetzer" to "Frauenthal Automotive" - our plants are renamed Frauenthal Automotive France S.A.S. (Châtenois and Douai sites), Frauenthal Automotive Azambuja, Unipessoal Lda, Frauenthal Automotive Judenburg GmbH and Frauenthal Automotive Sibiu S.R.L.